If you are a boat owner, maintaining your boat should be a top priority. The boat’s hull is one part of the boat that is constantly exposed to the elements and sustains heavy abuse. Taking care of your boat’s hull will ensure that your boat remains in excellent condition for a long time. If you use your boat in water that is polluted, the damage to the hull will be far greater than using your boat in both salt and fresh water.
Regularly cleaning the hull will help keep your boat in good condition for several years. Tom-N-Jerrys Boat Center has a team of experienced marine mechanics who handle boat repairs and servicing. Here are a couple of tips you can use.
There are two types of cleaning that you can do; basic cleaning and extensive cleaning.
• Use a bucket of clean, fresh water or a low-powered hose to rinse the hull thoroughly after a boat trip. You will need to get rid of any algae, mold, and salt build-up on the boat’s hull.
• Use a cleaning solution that is specially meant for use on boat hulls. Make sure to follow the instruction printed on the label.
• You might want to use a dock-product like a Dri-Diver, or a dingy rigged to the boat to scrub the hull down to the waterline.
• Use a soft sponge with a cleaning solution to wash the hull, take care not to damage the paint, and use gentle circular strokes to clean the hull. If you use a heavy-duty cleaner, you can use a bow-to-stern motion to clean the hull.
• After cleaning the hull with the cleaning solution, use fresh water to rinse it thoroughly.
• To finish up you will need to sponge it a second time with clean water, this will remove any residual watermarks and cleaning solution from the hull.
• Use a hose to rinse your hull and remove any slime, weeds or barnacles.
• Mix water and muriatic acid together and spray the mixture directly on the boat’s hull and let it sit for two minutes. If you still see grime and dirt on the hull after two minutes, you might want to let the solution stay on the hull a little while longer. However, you must make sure the solution does not stay on the hull for more than ten to fifteen minutes.
• Use a soft brush to remove grime and excess cleaning solution, and rinse the hull thoroughly to remove all traces of acid.
Tom-N-Jerrys Boat Center provides outstanding service and has a full-service shop to take care of all your boating needs.